|Panelists Answer questions submitted through Pigeonhole|
Moderator: Steve Papa, Founder of Endecca & Investor
Purnima Kochikar, Director of Apps & Games, Google Play
Bob Davis, General Partner, Highland Capital Partners
Susie Kim Riley, Founder & CEO, Aquto
Rajesh Mishra, Founder & CEO, Parallel Wireless
Led by moderator, Steve Papa, panelists gave a survey of the key trends in mobile technology and addressed the following questions:
- What is the opportunity with Payments?
- Payments are not the problem, credit cards are easy enough - Purnima Kochikar
- NFC payment systems require vendors to install new hardware, making it very unapproachable - Susie Kim Riley
- Changing the Risk Profile of Entrepreneurship?
- There is a huge supply of creativity, but, entrepreneurs in different parts of the world fear failure. In Japan, entrepreneurs lose credit profile if their businesses fail. - Purnima Kochikar
- What are the challenges and opportunities of reaching the next billion users?
- Users in emerging markets see mobile engagements in "bit" sizes, need to package business models to - Susie Kim Riley
- US-style pricing models will not work in other parts of the world. Compounding the expenses of traditional carrier plans are additional costs like electricity, making the technology - Bob Davis
- How will the internet of things change the mobile landscape?
- The internet of things is the most interesting trend in mobile technology. Estimates of 20 billion devices connected to the internet by 2020 - Bob Davis
- Carriers will have to change their product offering in order to meet spectrum requirements - Rajesh Mishra
- Will Infrastructure be able to support demands required by next billion users and internet of things?
- Phones are only used 10% of the time, yet they are consuming data 100% of the time. We need to figure out how to more effectively allocate spectrum - Rajesh Mishra
- The numbers tell us that there will be a crisis in internet availability, but, confident that smart entrepreneurs will find the solution - Bob Davis
- How to balance agility + sustainability in the mobile world, where businesses have such a short half-life?
- Entrepreneurs need to have a larger vision (i.e. Uber is not a transportation company, but, a comprehensive logistics platform) so that can roll-out new services and features - Purnima Kochikar & Susie Kim Riley
- Content is fickle and it always has been, mobile just makes it more obvious - Bob Davis
- How to Handle Privacy Concerns?
- First task is to prove to users that metadata can be anonymous - Rajesh Mishra
- Users will opt-in to share data if they get something in return - Susie Kim Riley
- Android vs. iOS
- Closed systems do a great job educating the market, but open systems always win in the long run - Bob Davis
- User experience is key, whoever masters this will win - Rajesh Mishra
- Poor user experience on low cost Android phones ruins the user experience - Rajesh Mishra
- This debate will continue forever - Purnima Kochikar